Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Driving in Italy and other Italian topics.


Insurance is mandatory for all vehicles in Italy. A "green card" (carta verde) - frontier insurance valid for 15, 30, or 45 days - should be issued to cover your car before your trip to Italy. If you are in Italy for more than 45 days you must have a regular Italian insurance policy.
If you are planning to rent a car in Italy you do not need a green card or an international drivers license, but you will require a valid insurance coverage which can be included in the cost of the rental. Medical insurance may not be included and a separate policy may be advisable.
If a person other than the owner drives a temporary imported vehicle, this person must have certified authorization from the owner and cannot be a resident of Italy. You are not allowed to rent, lend, pawn, sell or give away any temporarily imported vehicle.



Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Italian Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Mary White